Monday, June 24, 2013

In which I follow my own advice.

I just finished reading an awesome book. And it makes me want to write. So bad.

I haven't had this urge to write since finishing Doorways, really. And I love this feeling.

Even if it feels a lot like I'm going nuts.

My mind's whirring thoughts past so fast, I can't even really see them. I just know they're there. Hopefully, once I start writing, they'll pin down and I can write.

Right now is sort of inconvenient, though, since I'm still smack in the middle of edits. But you know what? I've been thinking.

While I wrote my previous post, I kept thinking of this once scene in the movie Center Stage. Now, I suspect that the ballet movie probably won't fall in everyone's tastes, but bear with me.

See in that movie is a scene that stayed with me ever since I saw it.

Basically, one of the main characters wants to be a Prima Ballerina, but feels like no one's giving her the chance she deserves. One evening, one of the teachers catches her practicing and gives her advice.

It's a bit of a long time since I watched the scene, but the gist is this:

No matter what, go back to the practice bar. If something goes well, go back. If someone upsets you. Go back. If you lose out at an audition, go back. Never give up. One day, your dedication will pay off.

That's the same for us writers. No matter what, we have to go back to writing. If someone gets an agent and you don't, write. If you're stuck on sub, write. If you feel like no one will see the talent you know you're gifted with, write. If you feel like you're not getting anywhere. If you missed out on yet another contest. If you missed a requested for partials by this much. If you're terrified of how your book will be received on the eve of publication.

Write. 

Write. 

Write. 

That dedication will pay off in some form.

And you know what? While I don't have a looming deadline on edits waiting, I'm going to follow my own advice. Who's with me?

20 comments:

  1. Yay dedication! Yay Ballet movies! Whichever you decide this post is about I'm glad you put out something so encouraging. Last week I wrote a new chapter on a W.I.P. I had put aside for a while and it made me feel pumped to write more of the ones I'm actually supposed to be writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall off the horse, get back on.
    Right now my horse is in the barn taking a snooze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I think I'm going to go off and follow your advice ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice and it's always neat seeing someone get that spark of inspiration, regardless of the source :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come take my kids to your house for the week, and I will. LOL
    Kidding. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your "go back to the practice bar" metaphor. Really right (write) on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that movie and I love the scene you're talking about here. Perfect metaphor for writing. And life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Misha. Write, write, write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have some chocolate while we all write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can never go wrong with writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Shoots hand up in the air* Totally with you on this. Haven't written of recent and have noticed I feel hollow. This blog post was quite apt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hell yes! I find I get horribly depressed if I don't write. Even when I'm up to my elbows in edits, I need to have something new underway to feel truly happy.

    My sister loves that movie, by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you, loud and clear!! *grabs pen and paper*
    Off I go---
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get so "itchy" when I don't write anything for so long. :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said. Writing is our foundation, after all. We can't be great writers without it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite quote "Writing is the best part." And, I love that movie. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is wonderful advice. The time will pass anyway, so you might as well use that time to keep on pursuing your goals!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good advice here. Congratulations on "Doorways" and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.